The architect and builder of the church was Brother Cornelius Otten, SJ. Its exterior design is representative of the eclectic period of American Victorian architecture, reminiscent of early renaissance revival. Notice the rusticated or textured exterior walls, round arches, and transitional Gothic arches. The elements of the interior have both Romanesque and early Renaissance characteristics, but all is overshadowed by the magnificent stained glass masterpiece of Our Lady, Star of the Sea. Created by the Franz Mayer Company of Munich, Germany, it was installed in 1907.